Make your own free website on

The Month of May


1_Border.jpg (40531 bytes)

May 2nd


2_Trail.jpg (53957 bytes)

May 2nd


3_Canuck.jpg (57964 bytes)

May 4th


4_Outfit_copy.jpg (55152 bytes)

May 4th


6_Agave.jpg (64503 bytes)

May 5th


5_Umbrella.jpg (51481 bytes)

May 6th


7_Grassland.jpg (48715 bytes)

May 6th


8_Camp_3.jpg (51244 bytes)

May 9th


9_Hitch.jpg (53588 bytes)

May 9th


10_Snake.jpg (36833 bytes)

May 10th


11_Fuller.jpg (54024 bytes)

May 13th


12_Mission.jpg (34689 bytes)

May 14th


13_BB_City.jpg (54186 bytes)

May 16th


15_LL.jpg (71693 bytes)

May 18th


16_Deep_copy.jpg (74317 bytes)

May 18th



Chapter 1

May 5, 2002: Greetings All! I'm Rose "the sister". I will be filling you in on Owen's movements along his 2700 mile trek. He is off to a great start after flying from Baltimore to San Diego on Tuesday. Wednesday was the official first day of the hike. He started at 6am and by 2pm had hiked the allotted 20 miles for the day. Needless to say, he kept going after a phone call to us from a Ranger station. Owen called today (Sun) from a town where he stopped to eat some ice cream with "Mr. Green".
Owen will be in Warner Springs tomorrow where he will spend the night and give us a call. He will also be sending me letters along the way, that I will type in for him.  At any rate, make sure to check back for more news. Thanks for reading!!

Chapter 2

May 7th, Mile 110, Warner Springs, CA: "The first section of California is complete, and I have arrived at Warner Springs for my first shower and a swim in the pool! May the 2nd saw me standing at the Mexican border at 6am, as a cold 37 degree F wind greeted my first steps toward Canada. How drastic a change of environments I would travel thru in my first 100 miles, from 90 degree F plus temperatures on the desert floors, to 30 degree temperatures at night high in the desert mountains. I've also walked a 23 and a 25 mile section that had no water! I've spent the last few nights with Mr. Green, another solo hiker on the way to Canada. Together we will head out of town this afternoon."

Chapter 3

May 11th, Mile 180 Owen writes: "This last section from Warner Springs to Idyllwild traveled thru the Anza-Borrego Desert and up into the San Jacinto mountains. A long 29 mile stretch of waterless trail was luckily broken up by an escape to Paradise Corner Cafe. On the night of the 9th, Mr. Green, Megan & I spent the night hidden behind some rocks atop Pyramid Peak as a frigid 40 F wind whistled above us, and Palm Springs lights twinkled far below in the valley. It was that same day we encountered a 5' rattlesnake in the trail!" Well, sounds like they are getting a taste of all the elements. Check back soon for more news.

Chapter 4

May 17th, Mile 276, Big Bear City, Owen writes: "The path from Idyllwild to Big Bear traveled from high mountain passes to desert floors. As I descended the Fuller Ridge on Monday(13th), a 5' rattlesnake rapidly alerted me that I was in its territory with a loud rattle of its tail. The valley I was descending to reached 114 degrees F that afternoon, forcing Mr. Green and I to seek refuge behind a large rock for a few hours. We spent the night that eve on the porch of an abandoned house we stumbled upon. The next day saw us searching for water, and the trail, as we moved toward Mission Creek.  The lawn of the Big Bear City Fire Department was a welcome refuge from the desert that many PCT hikers headed for.  Now to press on with another load of food for the next 100 miles."

Chapter 5

May 21st, Wrightwood, Mile 371 Owen writes: "The last stretch from Big Bear to Wrightwood was truly a walk in extreme opposite conditions. I spent the first day strolling above Big Bear Lake with 'HeMann' and 'SheMann', and spent the night under large fir trees. I was up at 4:30am in below freezing temperatures, yet found myself walking 20 miles later in near 100 degree heat on the arid ridges above Deep Creek.  A 3 hour break at a natural hot spring gave Lady Leaper and I enough steam to finish a 30 mile day.  The following day terminated at a McDonalds at I-15. Lastly, our yesterday (May 20th) entailed an open ridge at 8500', where ice, snow and rain joined us as we skirted along in a 30mph wind. Inches of ice that has collected upon the trees was blowing off and pelting all who braved the weather. A retreat here to a room in a motel was a welcome reward after a cold day. In fact, the weather pushed about 20 hikers out of the mountains, and we all homed in on the same pizza spot for dinner!" For those of you who don't know, hikers have "trail names", that is what all these names of people are. Owen's trail name is 'Happy Jo'. I spoke to him today from Agua Dulce where he was getting to do laundry and watch a basketball game...I'm sure he will fill us in on all the details!!

Chapter 6

May 25th, Mile 455, Owen writes: "I am currently sitting at the Saufleys here in Agua Dulce, enjoying a lazy morning before I head off again. The trail here began on the mountains surrounding Wrightwood, which are still covered in ice and snow from the storm that struck. My friend Sunny drove to Wrightwood and took Lady Leaper and I shopping for new sneakers, for the pair I started in is already ruined. I also bought a new headlamp, which I used that evening as I hiked until 8:45PM. The stroll here was wonderful, through the Angeles National Forest, a forested trail overlooking the Los Angeles basin and deserts below. Now the trail heads north and into the Mojave desert. Time to walk in the heat once again. Till Mojave..."

Chapter 7

May 30th, Mile 563, Mojave, CA, Owen writes: "The walk from Agua Dulce was a quick yet punishing one. I left the Saufley's at noon, and strolled off for an afternoon walk. 22 miles later I found myself at Green Valley catching a ride into the Anderson's, a wonderful local family that hosts PCT hikers. The next morn I was up early and dropped off at the trail by 6AM. A long day found me sipping a Sprite from a cooler stashed for hikers at a road crossing, where I met up with "T", and we walked an extra mile together. The next morning we woke up at 3AM, to hike as many miles as we could before the sun beat us into submission. We had hiked 22 miles by 1PM, most of which were along the miles of flat road that parallels the buried LA aqueduct. That evening, after a nap under a cottonwood tree, T and I continued our trek. Our section was completed the following day with a walk to Tehachipi Pass. Soon we were whisked here to Mojave Motel, to rest our hot and swollen feet."

Back to April

Onward to June




17_Cajon.jpg (32532 bytes)

May 19th


18_Storm.jpg (40215 bytes)

May 20th


19_Ice_copy.jpg (26455 bytes)

May 20th


20_B-P.jpg (50063 bytes)

May 21st


21_Sunrise_copy.jpg (23908 bytes)

May 23rd


22_Sunset.jpg (29239 bytes)

May 23rd


23_Tunnel.jpg (19378 bytes)

May 24th


24_Saufley.jpg (78519 bytes)

May 24th


25_Moon_copy.jpg (25609 bytes)

May 25th


26_Casa_copy.jpg (52491 bytes)

May 26th


28_Mojave_copy.jpg (51433 bytes)

May 27th


29_Road_copy.jpg (46700 bytes)

May 27th


30_Desert_copy.jpg (55511 bytes)

May 27th


31_Turbines_copy.jpg (48739 bytes)

May 28th


32_Mojave_copy.jpg (55151 bytes)

May 30th


33_Eve_copy.jpg (26897 bytes)

May 30th